Do we have MEV data by protocol?

We know that good empirical estimations of MEV by type (liquidation, sandwich, backrun etc) can be given by mev-inspect-py, however has anyone done any analysis on a platform basis?

I would love to see what percentage of each DEX’s flow is actually being frontrun/sandwiched/backrun and if there are any significant discrepancies between DEXes. What could explain them? Fees? Other protocol mechanisms?
Are some protocols more vulnerable than others to toxic MEV? Why?

This is helpful to understand from a user perspective but also from a protocol designer perspective.

5 Likes

Cool idea! It would also be interesting to look for interactions between DEX design and chain architecture: For example, DEX design A might attract more back-runs than design B on rollup 1, but B attracts more than A on rollup 2—perhaps because of properties of rollup 2’s sequencer, etc.

Alternatively, if DEX design A attracts disproportionate MEV across all chains it’s deployed on, that’s decent evidence there’s something about that design per se that’s inviting the MEV.

I suppose a lot of thought should go into controlling for DEX-level factors like average order size if your interest is in drawing conclusions about DEX designs themselves rather than incidental characteristics.

2 Likes

Bump on this, would be really nice to have this, at least for Ethereum

2 Likes

Yes, I haven’t thought about the impact of chain architecture but definitely something that could be at play here.

Yes, I have started making a list of potential factors that I want to test for.

1 Like

I actually just raised a new FRP on Flashbots’ mev-research repository. You can see it here.

I think this is the kind of research that fits well here because it brings more transparency to the community + will help in terms of protocol design.

2 Likes

I’m going to also look into this. Plan to write a paper on this topic.

1 Like