Block scoring for mev-boost relays

Ignoring transactions which reduce the balance seems wrong as it opens up the ability for a validator to inflate their block scores through reentrancy.

Assuming validators send withdrawal transactions through the tx pool, they should naturally never land in their own blocks as builders would filter those transactions out in their block value optimization. If 30% of the network uses the same fee recipient, then they could experience slower withdrawals, but not significantly.

Hey, Flashbots community!

Eugene M. here from Lido protocol devteam.

We definitely support the block scoring effort since it’s crucial to maintain proper monitoring and assessments.

Block-level scoring looks prominent, however, I can confirm that our architecture presumes huge daily withdrawal of accrued fees from the feeRecipient address (which is the same Vault SC for all Node Operators participating in the Lido protocol). As far as I understand, that block would have been considered with negative score and proposer would have to fallback to mempool if had treated without additional mitigations.

4 Likes

Does it? From my understanding, transfer of value to another address is atomic so there is no re-entrancy that can be applied. If a trace of transaction x shows a balance increment to address y then that is the sum of all transfers to the address. Those transfers can only be increments, unless the transaction is from y or y is a smart contract that allows third-party withdrawals (which seems unlikely). If the thought is that this could apply to ERC-20 tokens, then again that’s only true if the sender has a transfer allowance for the fee recipient’s tokens (which seems very unlikely).

I am thinking of the case of setting fee recipient as a contract that transfers out and then back in in a loop.

Since validator can define any fee recipient they want, they can do this just to troll if they want.

I don’t immediately see a simple rule that filters for this.

Perhaps I’m confused here, but there are two values floating around for a block:

1. the value to the builder
  2. the value to the proposer

If you are calculating 1 then there is no benefit to a builder to include transactions that inflate the value, as it would give the impression that the builder is keeping a larger portion of the MEV for themselves. If you are calculating 2 then re-entrancy doesn’t apply as what matters is the delta at the end of the transaction, not each movement of funds within the transaction. So sending 1 Ether to an account, it being sent back via smart contract, and sending it again would only result in a 1 Ether difference in the receiving account’s balance over the lifetime of the transaction.

If the proposer provided an address which was a smart contract that sent all funds to another address on receipt then this would result in the value of the block being under-reported, however this seems to be a limited use option and if a node operator attempted to do this it would be picked up pretty quickly and flagged. So I don’t see this as a reason to move to a significantly more complicated system of accounting.

(If it is really that much of an issue then you could trace the entire transaction to account for situations where funds move in and out of an account in the same transaction, but that would be relatively expensive and quite likely to be more open to abuse itself.)

Agreed with @jgm - imo, gross fee increase into fee-recipient directly or aggregated by tx both seem fine (and the former is probably easier to calculate). Trolling by setting fee-recipient as a looping contract just seems strictly inside the pareto curve to me - it’s obviously dumb if you’re trying to maximize from this block (your loop uses more gas so fewer txns can fit, relay has less room to optimize since sims take longer, relay pays you less by the increased basefee), and if you’re trying to grief then there are much easier ways to grief (eg, just don’t propose a block).

the only setup where this seems maybe incentive-compatible is in some enshrined pbs scenario where maybe you selectively grief relays that you don’t have an under-the-table deal with or something.

1 Like

arriving a bit late here, but totally see the merits of block level scoring. looking from the outside in, we intuitively came to the same approach a couple weeks back.

if the tradeoffs are not too costly to bear, “intuitive” as an attribute is def desirable, as it makes the score easier to replicate (e.g. when testing for correctness) for a larger number of parties—esp as this bleeds over to monitoring and reputation building.

4 Likes

Block level scoring does look good - nice and simple. One thing I’m a bit confused about (and perhaps it’s a mistaken cross-reference) - this discussion is tagged from this GitHub issue (Identifier for builder to proposer transaction · Issue #220 · flashbots/mev-boost · GitHub) which is seeking an identifier for the txn carrying the fees to the proposer’s fee recipient. How does the Block Level scoring address this?

here’s another for the bucket: https://twitter.com/siegerhino2/status/1573584907049246720?s=21&t=MHhODbE8lizLVBqpf6841Q

again thinking from the angle of relay reputation, should some variable that filters for the # of transactions included in the block be present in a scoring mechanism?

interested to hear people’s views here!

One benefit of plain block-level scoring is that the beacon-node could use eth_getBalance to easily double-check whether the received value equals the claimed value.

A downside would be that if there’s a transaction from the proposer’s fee recipient the block should literally be scored as negative eth.
Validation through the balance to me sounds like a patch that doesn’t actually address the problem, and works but for all the wrong reasons.

A problem with balance-diff block-level scoring is that a proposer can make a specific builder win the bids for their slot by providing a transaction that increases the feeRecipient balance (either directly or indirectly through smart contracts).

For reference: these are the current proposer payment mechanisms:

• Last tx in block (tx output scoring): Flashbots, bloXroute, Eden
  • Setting proposer feeRecipient as block feeRecipient (balance-diff): Blocknative, Manifold
1 Like

After giving this much thought, we propose to standardize on payment transactions for block scoring, in particular in combination with merkle-proof of the payment transaction as part of the bid.

• Payment transactions represent the actual block MEV value for the proposer, accurately reflecting the “bid value” a proposer uses to choose between multiple bids.
  • Currently 5 of 7 relays already use payment transactions. Their bids would loose out against bids with inflated value by a regular transaction to the proposer feeRecipient, even if the actual additional proposer value is higher.
  • mev-boost can easily verify the merkle-proof for inclusion without additional complexity, whereas verifying proof of balance difference would need mev-boost to additionally connect to an EL node.

Lastly it’s worth mentioning that there’s ongoing work to enable profit-switching in the beacon node (see also [RFC] Engine API: Add block value in response to engine_getPayload · Issue #307 · ethereum/execution-apis · GitHub).

5 Likes

I support this. We need a clear direction for next moves, and to me this a very good solution to explore.

I think this solves lido’s concern. I will reach out to get their confirmation.

Bloxroute’s concern was that this would require extra gas when the builder takes no payment. In this case, the proposer could be paid as fee recipient but we are forcing an extra transaction. I will also reach out for them to confirm this. I think the extra gas is a good price to pay for the simplicity and quickly enabling payment proofs and the local block comparison. We might find smarter ways to mitigate this case, too.

Thanks for the guidance @metachris!

I am unconvinced that the reasons provided are sufficient to claim payment transactions are better.

What do you mean by “actual block MEV value”? Surely any payment to the fee recipient, whether initiated by the builder or not, counts as MEV.

What is an “inflated value” and “actual additional proposer value”? Do you have examples where block level scoring behaves unexpectedly?

Why do you need to connect to an EL node for balance proofs? So long as you have the parent block header and the current block header, you can form a Merkle proof of the balance on the state trie which will be more accurate than attempting to prove a transaction against the transaction trie (see input and output scoring considerations).

Yeah, good point, what I meant was additional value delivered to the proposer by the builder.

It also relates to what we understand the bid value to be.

As an example:

• Assume a block with searcher transactions that pay +10 eth to coinbase, and the builder transfers all of that to the proposer in the payment transaction
  • There’s also an transaction from the proposer feeRecipient transferring 11 eth out
  • Is the bid value now -1 eth? We argue the bid value should still be 10 eth

If builder A comes up with a value of 2 Ether and builder B comes up with a value of 2.5 Ether but includes a transaction that transfers 1 Ether to the proposer fee recipient this is a distortion of the value to the proposer.

(Also, having a reliable source of such transactions (i.e. pool payments) would allow to consistently outbid other builders/relays even if there’s the same actual proposer payment by the builder.)

Where would mev-boost get the parent header from?

• Are you suggesting it’s supplied from the relay as part of the bid? can that be verified/trusted?
  • Ideally could you post a full example or spec of a bid with a verifiable balance proof?

Lastly, what’s your main argument for balance diff over payment transaction value?

Related discussion about details of payment proofs: Add bid proofs to the builder bid response by g11tech · Pull Request #51 · ethereum/builder-specs · GitHub

Is it an issue for the builder to filter out the withdrawal transactions from their block?

Why is this an issue? There is no way to prevent a builder from subsidizing their blocks regardless of the scoring method used. I don’t think Flashbots want’s to be in the position of deciding which payments are “legitimate” and which are “illegitimate”. This undermines the credible neutrality of the system and requires differentiating between “ethical and unethical” mev.

The CL provides mev-boost with the parent hash as part of getHeader call, so the block header on the parent can be validated trustlessly by mev-boost regardless of where the data comes from. The options are: bring from relay, bring from CL, bring from EL. Requesting the parent header from the relay as part of the payment proof seems like the most natural approach to me.

Sure builders could filter it out, but would really need to be forced to, for not lower their bid value. The question is whether the algorithm is actually sound if such a workaround is needed to arrive at a comparative scoring.

I’d like to understand why you feel block balance diff is preferable over payment transaction value?

Is there then no way for an outside observer to account for MEV? The feeRecipient is on-chain, but the “fee recipient” is private. Hence, by observing the chain, we cannot distinguish between the builder paying the proposer and the builder paying themself (or even versus no builder, just a proposer transferring out). As such, there seems to be no secure way to mirror a staking pool payout inclusive of MEV, without private information about the staking pool’s beneficiary addresses.